About Shiraz

Shiraz

Shiraz is one of the five largest cities in Iran and the capital of Fars province. According to the latest census of the Statistics Center of Iran in 1385 solar, this city had a population of 1,214,808 people, which in 1388 solar has increased to 1,455,073.

Shiraz city is located in the central part of Fars province at an altitude of 1486 meters above sea level in the mountainous region of Zagros and has a temperate climate. The city is bounded on the west by Drak Mountain, on the north by Bamoo, Sabzpooshan, Chehel Magham and Babakoohi Mountains (from Zagros Mountains). According to the latest administrative divisions, Shiraz city is divided into 9 independent urban areas and has an area of ​​1791/891 square kilometers.

Shiraz is the second city in Iran after Tehran where a municipality was established (1296 AH). The name of Shiraz has been registered in historical books and documents under different names such as “Tirazis”, “Shirazis” and “Shiraz”. The original location of this city was at the site of Abu Nasr Fortress. Shiraz was the capital of Iran during the Saffarids, Al-Buwayh and Zandieh eras. Due to its relative centrality in the South Zagros region and being located in a relatively fertile area, this city has long been a natural place for local exchanges of goods between farmers, settlers and nomads.

Shiraz is also located on the trade routes inside Iran to southern ports such as Bushehr port. Due to its many historical, cultural, religious and natural attractions, this city always attracts many tourists.

Spectacular attractions

Arg Karim Khan

Karim Khan Citadel is located in the center of Shiraz. This citadel was built during the reign of Zandieh dynasty and after Karim Khan Zand chose Shiraz as his capital and this place as his place of residence, it became known as Karim Khan citadel. During the reign of the Pahlavi dynasty, the citadel was used as a prison, which has been damaged. In 1350, this citadel was handed over to the Culture and Art Department of the time. This large building is now managed under the supervision of the Cultural Heritage Organization of the Islamic Republic of Iran, and the restoration work of this building has started a few years ago to be used as a large museum in Persia.

Arg Karim Khan Zand

Quran Gate

It is one of the gates left from ancient times in Shiraz, which is considered as one of the historical monuments of this city today. The Quran Gate is located in the northeast of Shiraz, in Tangollah Akbar, between Chehel Magham Mountain and Babakohi Mountain, and is actually located at the exit of Shiraz towards Marvdasht. Above the gate were two manuscripts of the Qur’an in the upper third line attributed to Ibrahim Sultan, son of Shah Rukh Teymouri. In 1316 AH, two manuscripts in it were transferred to the Pars Museum, which are still kept in this museum.

Afif abad garden

Or Golshan is one of the historical monuments of Shiraz. This garden is located on Afifabad Street in Shiraz and is currently in the possession of the army and has one of the largest weapons museums in the Middle East. Afifabad Garden is a perfect example of Iranian flower art. The builder of the garden mansion is Mirza Ali Mohammad Khan Ghavam-ol-Molk II, who died in 1284 AH. He built it. Afifabad Garden (also known as Golshan Garden) is a museum complex in Shiraz. This garden is located in one of the outlying areas of Shiraz and the complex was built in 1863. The complex includes a royal palace, a museum of antique weapons and an Iranian garden, all of which are open to the public.

Pasargad World Heritage Site

It is a collection of ancient structures left over from the Achaemenid period, which is located in Pasargad city in Fars province. This complex includes buildings such as the tomb of Cyrus the Great, Pasargadae royal garden, gate palace, bridge, public bar palace, private palace, two pavilions, fountains of the royal garden, Cambyses tomb, Tal Takht defense fortifications, Mozaffari caravanserai, holy site and Balaghi strait . This collection is the fifth collection registered in the list of World Heritage Sites in Iran, which was registered in the UNESCO World Heritage List in China in July 2004 due to its many characteristics with 100% of the votes in the World Heritage List.

fireplace

One of the Zoroastrian shrines is said to have a fire in a special place and the most important religious prayers are performed in it and in front of the fire.

hafezie

The name of the tomb complex is located in the north of Shiraz and in the south of the Quran Gate. This complex is known by this name due to the location of the tomb of Hafez Shirazi. The hafezie area is 2 hectares and consists of 2 north and south courtyards, which are separated by a hall. This complex has 4 entrance-exit doors, the main door on the south side, two doors on the west side and one door on the northeast side. The hafezie hall, which is one of the works of the prisoner period, is 56 meters long and 8 meters wide and consists of 20 stone columns, each 5 meters high.

This hall used to consist of 4 columns and 4 rooms, but later the rooms were removed from its area. On the east and west sides of the hall there are two rooms – one belonging to the Cultural Heritage Organization and the other to the tomb office. The architectural style of this hall is related to the Achaemenid and Zandian periods.

Saadi’s tomb

Known as Saadiyeh, Saadi’s residence and burial place is a prominent Persian poet. This tomb is located at the end of Bustan Street and next to Delgosha Garden at the foot of the mountain in the northeast of Shiraz. Around the tomb, there are many graves of religious leaders who are buried there according to their will. One of the most important of them is Shorideh Shirazi, whose tomb is connected to Saadi’s tomb by a portico.

The tomb of Sheikh Musharraf al-Din ibn Mosleh al-Din Saadi Shirazi was registered in the National Monuments Association on November 11, 1974 with the registration number 1010.3. Dehkhoda Dictionary quotes Farhang-e Borhan-e Qati as saying that the place where Sheikh Saadi rested is called “Gazargah” and according to Andraj-e-Andraj culture, he considered Gazrgah as the border of Shiraz close to the shrine of Sheikh Mosleh Al-Din Saadi Shirazi. Five hundred Rial bronze coins of the Islamic Republic of Iran have been decorated with the role of Saadi’s tomb since 2008.

The Orangery of Qavam

Known as Ghavam Garden, it was built and completed in Shiraz between 1257 and 1267 AH, during the reign of Nasser al-Din Shah Qajar and by the order of Ali Mohammad Khan (Ghavam al-Mulk II) and his son Mohammad Reza Khan (Ghavam al-Mulk III) in Shiraz. The Narenjestan building was built by Shirazi artists on a land with an area of ​​3,500 square meters and 940 square meters of infrastructure on both the southern and northern fronts.

The entrance is located on the south side and returns to a porch and leads to the courtyard through two symmetrical corridors. The south side building consists of two columned porches and rooms where the crew was stationed. The building on the north side has a basement and two floors above it, which includes a mirror hall with integrated marble columns, a royal hall and rooms that have been the place of administrative ceremonies and reception of guests. This mansion is one of the most beautiful buildings of this period in Shiraz in terms of arts such as mirror work, glass work, engraving, inlay work, masonry, plaster work and Mogharnas work used in it.

The Narenjestan building was donated to Shiraz University in 1345 AH and was used by the Asian Institute between 1348 and 1358 AH under the supervision of Professor Arthur Opham Pope, a famous Iranologist. In recent years, the basement on the north side has been overhauled and used as a museum to house the cultural objects donated by Professor Pope.

Pars museum

It is a museum located in Bagh-e Nazar, Shiraz, where objects from the pre-Islamic and post-Islamic periods are kept. This museum was founded in 1315 AH. The tomb of Karim Khan, which belongs to the Zand period, is located in this place. Pars Museum is located in Shiraz, Zand St., Bagh Nazar, near Karim Khan Citadel. This work was registered as one of the national works of Iran on December 6, 1963 with the registration number 244.

naghshe rostam

The name of the ancient complex in Zangiabad village is located in the north of Marvdasht city of Fars province of Iran, which is located 6 km away from Persepolis. This ancient site contains monuments of Elamites, Achaemenids and Sassanids and has always been considered from about 1200 BC to 625 AD because the tombs of four Achaemenid kings, numerous reliefs of important events of the Sassanid era, the construction of the Kaaba Zart And ruined reliefs from the Elamite era are located in this place and in the Sassanid period, the area of ​​Naghsh-e Rostam was also very important from a religious and national point of view.

In the past, the name of this place was Sehgonbad or Dogonbadan, which was also called Hajiabad Mountain, Istakhr Mountain or Nefesht Mountain among the people of the region, and probably the name of Naghsh-e Rostam after the Iranians connected between Rostam, the hero of Shahnameh and the lithographs of Sassanid kings. Was given to this place.

The oldest role in the role of Rostam is related to the Elamite period, which depicted the role of two gods and goddesses, king and queen, but later in the Sassanid period, Bahram II erased parts of it and carved his role and that of his courtiers instead. The Kaaba of Zoroaster is a stone and tower-like structure in this area, which was probably built during the Achaemenid period and its use has not been determined yet; On the three corners of this building are two inscriptions of Shapur I and Cartier, which are of great historical value.

There are four tombs in the heart of the mountain of mercy, which belong to Darius the Great, Xerxes, Ardashir I and Darius II, all of which have the same characteristics. Ardeshir Babakan was the first person to carve a lithograph in this area and record his coronation scene by Ahuramazda. After him, the Sassanid kings engraved their coronation scenes or descriptions of battles and their honor on the mountain chest. The fact that Ardeshir and his son Shapur II carved reliefs alongside the reliefs of their Achaemenid counterparts in the role of Rostam probably indicates a cultural and political approach to imitating the past.

shah’e cheragh

It is a tomb in Shiraz where, according to Shiites, Ahmad ibn Musa Kazem, the eldest son of Imam Musa Kazem, and Muhammad ibn Musa, the brothers of Imam Reza, are buried. He traveled to Khorasan to join his brother, but was martyred on the way by the people of Ma’mun Khalifa Abbasi in Shiraz. Of course, at the beginning of Imam Reza’s Imamate, the people assumed that Imam Ahmad ibn Musa was the Imam because he was older, but Hazrat Shahcheragh, trusting the province, invited everyone to follow Imam Reza. Previously, this tomb was located next to a square called Ahmadi in the city of Shiraz, but recently the square has become part of the shrine. The tomb of Seyed Mir Mohammad, brother of Seyed Mir Ahmad, is also near Shahcheragh.

Eram garden

It is a historical Iranian garden in Shiraz and includes several historical monuments and a botanical garden. The date of construction and the original founder of Eram Garden in Shiraz is not well known; However, descriptions of it have been given in travelogues belonging to the tenth and eleventh centuries AH. During Zandieh, Karim Khan Zand also tried to build and improve this garden. During the Qajar period, this garden fell to the leaders of the Qashqai tribe for 75 years. At this time a mansion was built in this garden.

However, during the reign of Nasser al-Din Shah Qajar, another mansion was built by Hussein Ali Khan Nasir al-Mulk. This mansion still stands. This garden has a very high plant diversity and plants from many parts of the world have been planted in this garden; In such a way that the garden has become an exhibition of all kinds of flowers and plants. This garden is currently owned by Shiraz University; The botanical garden is at the disposal of the Faculty of Agriculture and the garden building is at the disposal of the Faculty of Law. On July 27, 2011, at the 35th meeting of the UNESCO World Heritage Committee, the Eram Garden in Shiraz, along with eight other Iranian gardens, was inscribed on the World Heritage List.

Salehi House

Salehi House (Museum of Traditional and Ritual Clothes of Iran) is one of the houses of the Qajar period in Shiraz, which is located on the south side of the Martyrs’ Mosque and at the beginning of Haft Pich Alley. The architectural elements of this house include three-door and five-door rooms with porcelain decorations, plasterwork and wooden ceilings. In 2005, this house was turned into a museum of traditional and ritual clothes of Iran in order to preserve and revive the traditional arts of Iran by the Cultural Heritage Tourism Organization.

Nasir Al-Molk Mosque

It is one of the old mosques of Shiraz, which is located in Goode Araban, south of Lotfali Khan Zand Street, near Shah Cheragh Imamzadeh. This building was built by the order of Mirza Hassan Ali, nicknamed Nasir al-Molk, who was one of the great men of the Qajar dynasty. Its architecture was the work of Mohammad Hassan the architect. And the maintenance of this magnificent and valuable building in accordance with international standards for the restoration of historical monuments has been started for many years by the Nasir al-Molk endowment under the tutelage of Mr. Mahmoud Ghavam and the management of Mr. Kourosh Javidi Parsi Jani.

Persepolis

Parseh, Persepolis, Perse Polis, Hezarston or Chehel Minar, which is located in the north of Marvdasht city in the north of Fars province (northeast of Shiraz), the distance of this historical tourist place to the center of the province is 50 km. It is the name of one of the ancient cities of Iran, which has been the glorious and ceremonial capital of the Kingdom of Iran during the Achaemenid Empire.

In this ancient city, there is a building called Persepolis, which was built during the reign of Darius the Great, Xerxes and Ardashir I, and for about 50 years, has been a center for rituals and celebrations, especially Nowruz. On the first day of the new year, many groups from different countries, on behalf of the satrapies or governorates, gathered in Persepolis with various offerings and presented their gifts to the king.

The founder of Persepolis was Darius the Great, but after him his son Xerxes and his grandson Ardashir I expanded the complex. Much of the available information about the history of the Achaemenids and their culture is due to the inscriptions engraved on these palaces and on their walls and tablets.

Historians believe that Alexander the Great, a Greek general, invaded Persia in 330 BC and burned Persepolis, [4] possibly destroying much of Achaemenid literature, culture, and art. However, the ruins of this place are still standing in Marvdasht city in Fars province, and archaeologists confirm the signs of fire and invasion from the ruins. This place has been one of Iran’s UNESCO World Heritage Sites since 1979.